Search This Blog

Friday, May 25, 2012

Jumping off a cliff

Just got back from final work trip. Glad it went well but now the gaping maw of the recovery period is staring me down and I'm definitely blinking first.

The hospital just called to confirm I'm the first surgery on Tuesday and I need to be there at 5:30 a.m. What a relief to know I can savor those clear liquids until 3:30!
The good thing about this time slot is if the anesthesiologist messes up, I'll still be unconscious.

Even though I've been preparing mentally for a month, the fact that there are no entries on my calendar for 6 weeks is officially weirding me out. It feels a bit like I'm hurling myself off a cliff, no bungee, no 'chute. I've delegated all my work tasks and spent 3 days training so others can continue the project I've been on for the last few years. I'd be lying if I didnt say I'm worried everybody will discover I'm dispensable after all. I think my brain is going soft already.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What 1 item helped you the most after surgery?

Your Host

My photo
I'm 43-years old, married mother of two boys. I work full-time but the daunting prospect of 6-ish weeks of recovery has led me here. How much TV can one person watch?

Total Pageviews

Medical Details If You Must

Two-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion scheduled for May 29th. Herniated discs at C4-5 and C5-6 indenting the cord with significant kyphosis.



Disclaimer:
I am not a medical professional. The information contained in this blog is not intended to be nor is it medical advice. Nothing contained herein should be considered a substitute for consultation with a qualified health professional.