Search This Blog

Monday, July 2, 2012

Quick Tip for Cervical Fusion Recovery: Reading in Bed

I may be the only one out here who has suffered with this problem but if not, here you go:  I finally figured out a comfortable way to read in bed.  I used to be an avid reader but this neck brace has put a damper on that.  Because the collar is so restrictive, particularly of looking down, it is very difficult to read without holding the book (or e-reader) straight in front of your face.  Add to that mix, eyes which are starting to have trouble reading and its even more fun. 

So in desperation today, I found the solution.  I propped myself up comfortably reclined in bed with two pillows behind me so I was at a reasonable angle but with my back and neck aligned (i.e. my neck not torqued forward).  I laid two pillows across my stomach and perched the book atop.  You do have to hold the book or lean it on a wedge like this one (below):

Its a little bit goofy but it worked for me and I was able to get a couple of hours into The Long Earth (Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter). You're welcome!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What 1 item helped you the most after surgery?

Your Host

My photo
I'm 43-years old, married mother of two boys. I work full-time but the daunting prospect of 6-ish weeks of recovery has led me here. How much TV can one person watch?

Total Pageviews

Medical Details If You Must

Two-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion scheduled for May 29th. Herniated discs at C4-5 and C5-6 indenting the cord with significant kyphosis.



Disclaimer:
I am not a medical professional. The information contained in this blog is not intended to be nor is it medical advice. Nothing contained herein should be considered a substitute for consultation with a qualified health professional.