Search This Blog

Thursday, June 14, 2012

First post-op visit after fusion

Somehow, it was a bit of a letdown. I think I was naively hoping he'd be so impressed with my progress he'd lift my restrictions and release my neck from prison. Alas, it was not to be. He was pleased to hear I was off the meds but it was a pretty perfunctory visit. No exam, no Xray, just a lovely chat. I did see the intra-operative Xray showing the plate in position and normal cervical curvature, something not previously in evidence.

You may know already but there is a divide among surgeons as to whether a neck brace is requuired. My Doc explained that the studies didn't show much benefit for single-level fusions. But for 2+ levels, there was a slightly better fusion rate. So I will deal with the inconvenience and put my vanity on the shelf for a bit longer! Its the only spine I got, right?

So a new scrip for a reality check: 4 more weeks in the neck brace, 4 more weeks of no driving. The good news is that he said I could go back to work when I felt ready. He did suggest starting off part-time, working afternoons since he said it was less likely to spill over to 6+ hours instead of half days. Lucky me, my husband works in the same building so my ride is a snap.

Next up, workplace modifications! A fellow spine patient, Ken, just this week told me about Ergotron products. Here is the link to their site: http://www.ergotron.com/

I'm considering the Workfit S sit-stand workstation:

Would love to hear from anyone who has a similar product. Looking to start back part-time next Tuesday, 3 weeks post-op. Feeling pretty pleased about it so far, let's hope that continues!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What 1 item helped you the most after surgery?

Your Host

My photo
I'm 43-years old, married mother of two boys. I work full-time but the daunting prospect of 6-ish weeks of recovery has led me here. How much TV can one person watch?

Total Pageviews

Medical Details If You Must

Two-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion scheduled for May 29th. Herniated discs at C4-5 and C5-6 indenting the cord with significant kyphosis.



Disclaimer:
I am not a medical professional. The information contained in this blog is not intended to be nor is it medical advice. Nothing contained herein should be considered a substitute for consultation with a qualified health professional.