Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

4 Weeks After 2-Level Cervical Fusion and I feel great!

Its hard to believe it has been four weeks already. It would be a lie to say I've never looked back since the surgery, wondering what I've done this for. But at this point, I can say I feel fantastic and am so glad I've gone through it. Although I haven't tested how my ROM is now, the mere fact that my pain is gone has itself increased my function.

I'm not exercising my arms or upper body at all on doctor's orders, but from normal use my left hand strength is almost back to normal and I have no limitations on what I can do with it. I can sleep on my side again with no pain. Today I raked the yard for several hours, wearing the neck brace, and I have had no symptoms as a result.

My neck itself feels almost back to normal. I am having no trouble swallowing and can not feel any internal swelling in my esophagus. The scar tissue is still obvious visually and to the touch but continues to improve. The scar itself also looks far better than I was hoping. (pictures here: http://acdf-neckiswack.blogspot.com/p/my-scar-photographic-retrospective.html)

Facing down the last two weeks in the brace, I know I can do it. I have to admit it, I have taken it off several times to drive short distances to the grocery store. It has not been difficult at all to get used to not having it on. I've still been careful not to rotate too much but it has been a relief, to say the least. If the Xrays in 2 weeks don't show good signs of healing, I am going to be seriously bummed!

2 comments:

MikeC said...

how is your neck at almost 2years?

R Palmer said...

Hi Mike,
I'm still doing great. Just drove 7 hours yesterday with no issues. I haven't had any recurring pain and the faint numbness in my left thumb and forefinger which persisted for a while is totally gone. The ROM is about the same with forward flexion the most restricted. How are you?

Post a Comment

What 1 item helped you the most after surgery?

Your Host

My photo
I'm 43-years old, married mother of two boys. I work full-time but the daunting prospect of 6-ish weeks of recovery has led me here. How much TV can one person watch?

Total Pageviews

Medical Details If You Must

Two-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion scheduled for May 29th. Herniated discs at C4-5 and C5-6 indenting the cord with significant kyphosis.



Disclaimer:
I am not a medical professional. The information contained in this blog is not intended to be nor is it medical advice. Nothing contained herein should be considered a substitute for consultation with a qualified health professional.