Search This Blog

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Back on the sauce and wig shopping

Right after the doctor told me I had to wear the neck brace 24-7 for 3 more weeks, I started taking it off for short periods of time, starting with the shower.  I'm careful about not moving around too much but it feels so stiff I don't really want to move it.  We had some people over for dinner last night and sitting at the bar trying to talk to someone next to me was impossible so I took the stupid thing off again.  What a relief!  One glass of sangria later and I almost forgot to put it back on. 

Then today I notice my diligence in wearing the brace has resulted in a delightful rash under the collar where the base presses on my sternum.  I am washing the pads a lot and still this thing is irritating me.  Grrrr!  On top of this new development, the last few days I have been absolutely lethargic.  No increase in activity (the opposite) but I am unable to get off the couch. 

Ironically, despite all this lounging about reading celebrity biographies (I know, right?) I can't sleep at all.  I got up and took some Tylenol PM last night but it seemed to have the opposite effect.  I may go back to the good stuff if I'm still sleepless tonight.  I'm aching in my neck, shoulders and back and my first post-surgical attempt at drying and styling my hair left me completely exhausted.  That will be the end of that, next up, ponytails and wigs. 

On the upside, the kids and I walked to the grocery store today and bought groceries to cook dinner for Father's Day.  100% Kid-inspired menu: Yellow Snow Risotto, World's Most Dangerous Vegetable (corn on the cob because of the pointy holders), You're a Dork Pork Tenderloin and Yellow Snow Dog Dirt Cake. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What 1 item helped you the most after surgery?

Your Host

My photo
I'm 43-years old, married mother of two boys. I work full-time but the daunting prospect of 6-ish weeks of recovery has led me here. How much TV can one person watch?

Total Pageviews

Medical Details If You Must

Two-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion scheduled for May 29th. Herniated discs at C4-5 and C5-6 indenting the cord with significant kyphosis.



Disclaimer:
I am not a medical professional. The information contained in this blog is not intended to be nor is it medical advice. Nothing contained herein should be considered a substitute for consultation with a qualified health professional.