Search This Blog

Monday, February 15, 2021

Nearly 9 Years Later...

 Hello Friends,

Disclaimer: Popular fitness community post below

Disclaimer 2: Always consult with your physician before starting an exercise regimen!

Just like all of you, I have been trying to stay busy living through the new normal but wanted to post an update that might be of interest. I am now 52 and after surgery my activity levels slowed way down, helped out nicely by my desk job. Two years ago, I joined a popular chain boot camp to get back in the habit of exercise after a LONG hiatus. 

I struggled with overall fitness at first as you would expect but went nearly every day with a good friend after work. I started feeling better and remembered the joy of a good sweat. After a while, I found it to be a little too much high impact and the coaching was just ok. My older sister had been doing CrossFit for years and had encouraged me to try it but I was nervous both because of my fusion but also, you know, big scary testosterone gym, etc. 

Fast forward to a year later, and I have been going to CrossFit six days a week and absolutely love it. COVID obviously impacted things but I was lucky enough to snag some home equipment and I kept going until they reopened. I have done things I never would have imagined were possible. I still modify a lot of movements, but the variety of movements between the gymnastic type exercises and the lifting (yes, the olympic lifts) has really hooked me. I have conquered double-unders, deadlifted 210 pounds and most recently managed toes to bar (clip below). 



I am stronger than I have been in years, I feel fantastic (even though I am mostly sore all the time) and it has done wonders for my mental state. I am not suggesting CrossFit is for everyone, and definitely talk to your doctor about it first. However, I wanted to encourage anyone who might be struggling that there are things you can do if you are careful and consistent.



Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What 1 item helped you the most after surgery?

Your Host

My photo
I'm 43-years old, married mother of two boys. I work full-time but the daunting prospect of 6-ish weeks of recovery has led me here. How much TV can one person watch?

Total Pageviews

Medical Details If You Must

Two-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion scheduled for May 29th. Herniated discs at C4-5 and C5-6 indenting the cord with significant kyphosis.



Disclaimer:
I am not a medical professional. The information contained in this blog is not intended to be nor is it medical advice. Nothing contained herein should be considered a substitute for consultation with a qualified health professional.